Donate today and be part of an exclusive social set.
a good picture is … of a famous person doing something unfamous. It’s about being in the right place at the wrong time
Andy Warhol & Photography: A social media reveals an unseen side of celebrated Pop artist Andy Warhol through his career-long obsession with photography. Whether he was behind or in front of the camera, photography formed an essential part of his artistic practice while also capturing an insider’s view of his celebrity social world.
Exclusive to Adelaide, this exhibition features photographs, experimental films and paintings by Warhol, including his famed Pop Art portraits of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley from the 1960s. It also contains works by his photographic collaborators and creative contemporaries such as Christopher Makos, Gerard Malanga, Robert Mapplethorpe, David McCabe, and Duane Michals.
Decades before social media, Warhol’s photography was candid, collaborative and social, attuned to the power of the image to shape his public persona and self-identity. Many of his photographs from the 1970s and 1980s offer behind-the-scenes glimpses into his own life and the lives of friends and celebrities such as Muhammad Ali, Bob Dylan, Debbie Harry, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Liza Minelli, Lou Reed and Elizabeth Taylor. This exhibition asks the question, was Warhol the original influencer?
Join our Warhol Entourage
We are seeking your support to deliver this much-anticipated exhibition, and invite you, as valued Foundation members, to join the Warhol Entourage.
To become part of the Entourage we ask you to make a donation of $5,000 or more. Donations are fully tax-deductible, and members of the Entourage will have access to a range of exclusive events and benefits.
Warhol Entourage members will:
- Have their name displayed on the wall of the exhibition space as major Warhol supporters.
- Be acknowledged in the AGSA Magazine and donor screens in the vestibule.
- Be acknowledged in the Andy Warhol & Photography: A Social Media website.
- Have access to exclusive curator lead tours and events, including meeting with New York based photographer, Christopher Makos, who was part of Warhol’s inner circle.
- Receive an invitation to a special Entourage Preview event to be held at AGSA before the official Preview – giving you the chance to be the very first to view the exhibition.