- Submissions to the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 must be uploaded to the www.agsa.sa.gov.au/ramsay website between the hours of 10.00am, 16 September and 5.00pm, 16 December 2022 (Adelaide, South Australia, local time).
- The entrant must be under the age of 40 on 16 December 2022 (submission deadline). Proof of age may be required.
- Entrants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents and must be living in Australia as their primary place of residence.
- Submissions are limited to one entry per person or collective.
- The entrant must be the creator of the entry submitted for judging and the entry must be available for acquisition to meet the requirement of the acquisitive prize. Where more than one person has created the entry, the entrant must be authorised in writing by all creators of the entry, and be able to provide proof as required, to submit the entry in accordance with these conditions.
- The Art Gallery of South Australia (AGSA) staff and immediate family are prohibited from submitting an entry into the Ramsay Art Prize.
- The submitted entry into the Ramsay Art Prize is not restricted by medium or subject matter and can take any form, including (without limitation) sculpture, painting, drawing, photography, installation, sound digital, net or live art etc.
- The term “Supporting Media Files” in the Entry Form refers to the supporting images, video or sound files documenting the entry submitted.
- The submitted entry must be new or recent work and must be completed after 16 December 2021.
- Entry into the Ramsay Art Prize will incur a $50 administration fee, including GST, payable by credit card at online entry portal at the time of entry.
- Credit card payments will be accepted from Mastercard or Visa and will not incur an additional processing fee.
- Entry into the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 requires completion of all components within the online Entry Form, including but not limited to:
a) Respond to the following three questions in the third person (maximum 100 words per question):
1 Describe yourself as an artist?
2 Describe the materials and processes used in the entry?
3 Describe the ideas/ themes you are exploring?
b) Supporting media displaying the entry (maximum of three, including a minimum of one still image)
c) Acceptance of all declarations
d) Payment of the entry fee
13. Only entries selected as finalists for the Prize need to be transported to the Art Gallery of South Australia.
14. The entrant agrees to any embargo applicable to the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 finalist exhibition and/or winner announcement. The winning entrant must not disclose his/her/their identity during the embargo period.
15. The submitted entry must be available for loan and display at the AGSA between February – October 2023
16. The entry must be original and must not infringe the copyright, moral rights, or other rights of any third party.
17. The entrant grants the AGSA (and its partners and sponsors) a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to photograph, film, record, broadcast, publish and/or communicate the artist, the submitted entry and related public program events including artist’s talks, workshops and performances, for the following Ramsay Art Prize related purposes:
a) marketing, publicity, educational, archival and publication uses for the AGSA, the Ramsay Art Prize and its exhibition in all media, including but not limited to electronic/digital, broadcasting and print media; and.
b) anything incidental to such purposes; and
c) may be used by the AGSA for purposes including, but not limited to, education, publicity and promotion.
This licence does not include AGSA merchandise, e.g., cards, t-shirts, reproduction prints, wrapping paper, bookmarks, notebooks. If the AGSA wishes to obtain the entrant’s permission for such merchandise a separate request will be made.
18. In accordance with the Copyright Act 1966, the AGSA agrees to,
a) attribute the entrant as the author of the submitted entry when on display and when reproduced in accordance with the above-mentioned licence.
b) if requested by the entrant publish a copyright credit line when the submitted entry is reproduced in accordance with the above-mentioned licence.
c) reproduce the submitted entry to the highest possible standard and in such a manner to enhance the artist’s reputation however details of the submitted entry may be used at the AGSA’s discretion.
19. If the submitted entry is selected as a finalist for inclusion in the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 exhibition, the finalist will:
a) make the selected entry available for transportation, at the AGSA’s expense, to the AGSA for display in the finalist exhibition. The AGSA will be responsible for freight and installation. The finalist will be responsible for the work to be appropriately packaged and crated, ready for collection as arranged by AGSA.
b) make themselves and the entry available, only to the extent that it is reasonable to do so, for marketing and media opportunities in relation to the promotion of the Ramsay Art Prize and its finalist exhibition, at the invitation of the AGSA.
20. If the submitted entry is selected as a finalist for inclusion in the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 exhibition, the entry will:
a) only be collected from the finalists’ nominated Lender/agent address as per Loan Agreement. At the conclusion of the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 exhibition, entry (other than the winner) will be returned to finalists’ nominated Lender/agent address as per Loan Agreement at no cost to the entrant.
b) be insured ‘nail to nail’ (from collection, installation, display, and return) by AGSA through SAFA for the entry value nominated and for the agreed loan period per Loan Agreement at no cost to the entrant.
21. The AGSA asks that all entries requiring assembly be accompanied with installation notes and photographs. The AGSA has professional art handlers who install all entries on behalf of the finalists.
22. Where complex install and deinstall require the finalist to be present, at the discretion of the AGSA, the finalist takes responsibility of any additional travel or associated costs that may be incurred.
23. AGSA has limited technical and audio-visual equipment. If an entry requires specific equipment, the entrant maybe requested to provide said equipment at the cost of the entrant.
24. Any entry that requires specialist equipment or rigging will be the responsibility of the finalist and approved by AGSA. Rigging, lifting points and other specialised equipment or installation methods will require engineer certification and detailed installation instructions
25. The finalist grants to AGSA a first right of refusal to acquire any entry exhibited in the Ramsay Art Prize 2023, other than the winning entry which shall be owned by AGSA pursuant to clause 27. Decisions regarding acquisitions will be advised by the exhibition closing date.
26. Any external enquiries regarding sale of entries in the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 exhibition will be directed to the finalist and/or their Gallerist. If the entry is purchased/acquired during the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 exhibition, the finalist and/or their Gallerist will be responsible for arranging freight and insurance for the delivery of the entry to the purchaser. AGSA takes no responsibility for the return of the purchased/acquired entry. If after 30 days the entry has not been collected, the entry will be returned to the finalist and/or their Gallerist at their cost.
27. If awarded the Ramsay Art Prize 2023, the entrant agrees that full ownership of the submitted entry (but not copyright) will be transferred to the AGSA at no additional cost. The entrant agrees to sign any ownership transfer document provided by the AGSA. The entrant will retain all copyright in the entry.
28. If awarded the Ramsay Art Prize 2023, the entrant agrees to seek independent legal advice, at their own cost, regarding acceptance of the Prize, including all tax implications.
29. If awarded the Ramsay Art Prize 2023, the entrant agrees to provide two artistic progress reports (no more than one page each) at six months and one year immediately following the award of the Prize.
30. Selection of the winning entry will be judged by an invited panel. Panel judgement is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
31. Entrant emails will be added to AGSA’s enews mailing list.
32. The AGSA reserves the right to consider (at the AGSA’s sole discretion) any entry, including without limitation a late entry or an entry by an entrant who has failed to comply with any of these conditions.
1. Two monetary prizes are applicable to the Ramsay Art Prize including:
a) The Ramsay Art Prize, $100,000 and acquisition into the Art Gallery of South Australia’s collection
b) The People’s Choice Prize, $15,000
2. The Art Gallery of South Australia will pay the Ramsay Art Prize 2023 winner $100,000 (GST exclusive) following the announcement of the winner.
3. The Art Gallery of South Australia will pay the amount of $15,000 (GST exclusive) to the entrant who receives the highest number of audience votes for the People’s Choice Prize following the announcement of the People’s Choice Prize winner.