- Submissions to the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 must be uploaded to the agsa.sa.gov.au/ramsay website between the hours of 10.00am, 11 September and 5.00pm, 11 December 2020 (Adelaide, South Australia, local time).
- The entrant must be under the age of 40 on 11 December 2020 (submission deadline). Proof of age may be required.
- Entrants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents and must be living in Australia as their primary place of residence.
- Submissions are limited to one entry per person or collective.
- The entrant must be the creator of the entry submitted for judging and the entry must be available for acquisition to meet the requirement of the acquisitive prize. Where more than one person has created the entry, the entrant must be authorised in writing by all creators of the entry, and be able to provide proof is required, to submit the entry in accordance with these conditions.
- The Art Gallery of South Australia (AGSA) staff and immediate family are prohibited from submitting an entry into the Ramsay Art Prize 2021.
- The submitted entry into the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 is not restricted by scale, medium or subject matter and can take any form, including (without limitation) sculpture, painting, drawing, photography, installation, sound digital, net or live art etc.
- The term “Supporting Media Files” in the Entry Form refers to the supporting images, video or sound files documenting the entry submitted.
- The submitted entry must be new or recent and must be completed after 11 December 2019.
- Entry into the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 will incur a $50 administration fee, including GST, payable by credit card at online entry portal at the time of entry.
- Credit card payments will be accepted from Mastercard or Visa and will not incur an additional processing fee.
- Entry into the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 requires completion of all components within the online entry form, including but not limited to:
a) Respond to the following three questions in the third person (maximum 100 words per question):
a.1) Describe yourself as an artist
a.2) Describe the materials and processes used in the entry
a.3) Describe the ideas/ themes you are exploring
b) Supporting media displaying the entry (maximum of three, including a minimum of one still image)
c) Acceptance of all declarations
d) Payment of the entry fee
13. Only entries selected as finalists for the prize need to be transported to AGSA.
14. The entrant agrees to any embargo applicable to the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 finalist exhibition and/or winner announcement. The winning entrant must not disclose his/her/their identity during the embargo period.
15. The submitted entry must be available for loan and display at AGSA between February – October 2021.
16. The entry must be original and must not infringe the copyright, moral rights, or other rights of any third party.
17. The entrant grants AGSA (and its partners and sponsors) a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to photograph, film, record, broadcast, publish and/or communicate the artist, the submitted entry and related public program events including artist’s talks, workshops and performances, for the following Ramsay Art Prize related purposes:
a) marketing, publicity, educational, archival and publication uses for AGSA, the Ramsay Art Prize and its exhibition in all media, including but not limited to electronic/digital, broadcasting and print media; and
b) anything incidental to such purposes; and
c) may be used by AGSA for purposes including, but not limited to, education, publicity and promotion.
This licence does not include AGSA merchandise, e.g. cards, t-shirts, reproduction prints, wrapping paper, bookmarks, notebooks. If AGSA wishes to obtain the entrant’s permission for such merchandise a separate request will be made.
18. In accordance with the Copyright Act 1966, AGSA agrees to,
a) attribute the entrant as the author of the submitted entry when on display and when reproduced in accordance with the above-mentioned licence
b) if requested by the entrant publish a copyright credit line when the submitted entry is reproduced in accordance with the above-mentioned licence
c) reproduce the submitted entry to the highest possible standard and in such a manner to enhance the artist’s reputation however details of the submitted entry may be used at AGSA’s discretion.
19. If the submitted entry is selected as a finalist for inclusion in the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 exhibition, the finalist will:
a) make the selected entry available for transportation, at AGSA’s expense, to AGSA for display in the finalist exhibition. AGSA will be responsible for freight and installation. The finalist will be responsible for the work to be appropriately packaged and crated, ready for collection as arranged by AGSA.
b) make themselves and the entry available, only to the extent that it is reasonable to do so, for marketing and media opportunities in relation to the promotion of the Ramsay Art Prize and its finalist exhibition, at the invitation of AGSA.
20. If the submitted entry is selected as a finalist for inclusion in the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 exhibition, the entry will:
a) only be collected from the finalists’ nominated Lender/agent address as per Loan Agreement. At the conclusion of the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 exhibition, the entry (other than the winner) will be returned to finalists’ nominated Lender/agent address as per Loan Agreement at no cost to the entrant.
b) be insured ‘nail to nail’ (from collection, installation, display, and return) for the entry value nominated and for the agreed loan period per Loan Agreement.
21. AGSA asks that all entries requiring assembly be accompanied with installation notes and photographs. AGSA has professional art handlers who install all entries on behalf of the finalists.
22. Where complex install and deinstall require the finalist to be present, at the discretion of AGSA, the finalist takes responsibility of any additional travel or associated costs that may be incurred.
23. AGSA seeks first right of refusal to acquire any entry exhibited in the Ramsay Art Prize 2021. Decisions regarding acquisitions will be advised by the exhibition closing date.
24. Any external enquiries regarding sale of entries in the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 exhibition will be directed to the finalist and/or their Gallerist. If the entry is purchased/acquired during the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 exhibition, the finalist and/or their Gallerist will be responsible for arranging freight and insurance for the delivery of the entry to the purchaser. AGSA takes no responsibility for the return of the purchased/acquired entry. If after 30 days the entry has not been collected, the entry will be returned to the finalist and/or their Gallerist at their cost.
25. If awarded the Ramsay Art Prize 2021, the entrant agrees that full ownership of the submitted entry (but not copyright) will be transferred to AGSA at no additional cost. The entrant agrees to sign any ownership transfer document provided by AGSA. The entrant will retain all copyright in the entry.
26. If awarded the Ramsay Art Prize 2021, the entrant agrees to seek independent legal advice regarding acceptance of the Prize, including all tax implications.
27. If awarded the Ramsay Art Prize 2021, the entrant agrees to provide two reports (no more than one page each) at six months and one year immediately following the award of the prize.
28. Selection of the winning entry will be judged by an invited panel. Panel judgement is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
29. AGSA reserves the right to consider (at AGSA’s sole discretion) any entry, including without limitation a late entry or an entry by an entrant who has failed to comply with any of these
30. Force majeure: Where, for any reason beyond the reasonable control of AGSA (including, for example, earthquake; flood; fire; act of God; terrorism; pandemic; government directions, orders or regulations; labour strikes or other emergency event), AGSA is prevented or materially hindered from holding the Ramsay Art Prize or the Ramsay Art Prize exhibition at AGSA then it may vary, postpone or cancel the Ramsay Art Prize by notice in writing to that effect to the artists and by a notice on its website.
- Two monetary prizes are applicable to the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 including:
a) The Ramsay Art Prize, $100,000 and acquisition into the Art Gallery of South Australia’s (AGSA’s) collection
b) The People’s Choice Prize, $15,000
2. AGSA will pay the Ramsay Art Prize 2021 winner $100,000 (GST exclusive) following the announcement of the winner.
3. AGSA will pay the amount of $15,000 (GST exclusive) to the entrant who receives the highest number of audience votes for the People’s Choice Prize following the announcement of the People’s Choice Prize winner.