The mission of the Art Gallery of South Australia is to serve the South Australian and wider communities by providing access to original works of art of the highest quality. Through the permanent collection, temporary exhibitions, publications, education and public programs, AGSA seeks to become part of the daily life of Australians – to champion art, artists and ideas.
To be a leading art museum in Australia with a distinct and innovative identity and a strong creative voice. AGSA aims:
- to be highly respected for the quality, excellence and ingenuity of its collection displays, exhibitions, programs, interpretation and research
- to engage South Australians from a diverse cross-section of the community in the visual arts
- to lead, enliven and enrich the culture of the city and the state through collaboration and creativity
- to be a major attraction for interstate and international visitors, thereby contributing to the State’s economic development and tourism by providing a focus for experiencing the uniqueness and cultural identity of South Australia
- to be like no other Art Gallery in this country – to offer an intimate, engaging and eclectic encounter with art, artists and ideas of our time
International Design Competition
AGSA has outlined a vision for a new and inspirational cultural destination.